Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Ready to off someone

Preferably my LS.

She comes in and is supposed to be in the front. ASM2 is in the back and so am I. LS is supposed to be greeting the customers as they walk in, and fails to do so. I'm in back, busy helping my ASM2 with merchandising the wall. I notice there are two ladies at the cash wrap and ask the first one, "ma'am, are you ready?" She looks at me and goes, "I need to be helped." So, I ask her, what can I help you with? She has two items in hand, one pair of pants, and a white denim skirt. She asks if there is a smaller size in the pants to try on. I punch the numbers in the computer, and tell her we don't have it in our store, but two other stores may have it. I tell her what her options are, we can call and have it put on hold over there, or we can have it sent to her or the store, but there is a six dollar shipping charge. She gets upset, "are you kidding me? You're going to charge me six dollars to try on a pair of pants."

Whoops. Didn't mean for it to go that way.

She continues, visibly upset (practically on the verge of tears, me thinks). She tells me no one said hi to her in the store, no one helped her with the fitting room, she's been around the store twice and still no one greeted her, or asked her if she needed help. One person, presumably my LS because she looked at her when she said this, almost made eye contact with her but then she looked away.

What did I do? The same thing I did with the customer over the telephone. Have I mentioned that one yet? I'll tell later.

I apologized for our actions, or lack thereof. I explained that we try to greet every customer in the store, but apparently we dropped the ball. Very apologetically, I apologized that she wasn't helped and no one greeted her. She asked if I was the manager, and I said no, my manager wasn't there. She asked for a card, so I gave her one.

We called the next store, located the pant, and placed that one on hold. I felt so bad for her because the first time I called, no one picked up. I explained to her that in the other store, they have to transfer me to the right department. The second time, I called, they looked for the pant, got the wrong one, then got the right one. C asked me to search for the white skirt as well. She was very hesitant to "shop" in our store, and told me so. Again, I apologized for our lack of service. Our store is supposed to be all about servicing the customer. Unfortunately, they didn't have the skirt, which was what I had told her. But she asked me to ask anyway, in case the computer was wrong. Normally, the computer is wrong about having things, not, not having them. We got the pant put on hold and then I rang up the skirt. Again, I apologized for today's bad shopping experience, wished her a better shopping experience next time, and told her to have a good day.

After she left, LS still wasn't greeting people. I had to greet customers from the cash wrap because she wasn't. I went to lunch next. When I came back, LS was at the cashwrap instead of being in front. ASM2 told me later that LS asked her to go in front so LS could ring. ASM2 told her, no, I'm back here. I can ring. Ooooh. SallyS came in later and we both do not like LS at all. On a brighter note, ASM1 called us. She's now at another store. It was good to hear from her!

No comments: